Wednesday, November 2, 2011

So Much Free Time, Yet So Much To Do


Books I Have Been Reading:
-Lamb- Fun fiction story of Jesus’ life through the eyes of his best friend Levi, called Biff of Nazareth.
-Lost Women of the Bible- an interesting view of struggles fought by some of the most important women in the bible
- The Art of Racing in the Rain- Book told from the view of a dog, great so far!

It is official; my best friend in Peru is my 11-year-old host brother. We do everything together. If I ever leave the house he asks if he can come along. He can even be a little protective of me when walking and people start to whistle or give kissing sounds. He calmly says, “Just keep walking Hannah,” and pretends not to notice. It’s quite adorable actually. We spent even more time than usual together this week because I had Monday and Tuesday off work due to the holiday Día De La Muerte, which is celebrated on November 1st.

On Saturday, Jonathan and I woke up bright and early to go running in the park. Which turned into racing for half and hour because that is way more fun than just jogging, I’m still sore. Then we went to the market to find any kind of fruit we could, and returned home to make two pizzas de frutas (fruit pizza). Everyone loved the treat. My host dad was hesitant at first and said, “It’s basically just fruit salad on bread,” but he was a good sport and enjoyed it. The reason that they make their pizzas here is because it is very expensive to buy pizza. To feed a family it would probably be around 50 soles, which is way more than most families pay for a weeks worth of dinners. 
                                                            Fruit Pizza!

Monday and Tuesday were spent painting the church and running errands in our free time. The church was in need of a good paint job, and after about a week of hard work, we are finally finished and it looks 100% better. Jonathan and I also got our haircut. For the both of us, it cost 5 soles (roughly 2 dollars), I might actually be able to keep up with my hair at that price!

                              The church before Sunday service, freshly painted!
                                 The pool in the church because I live in eternal spring
                                      The new paint job! I did all the blue sections.


                       The TAMAR girls are still working hard on the Christmas cards!

Now, it’s back to work to start off the beginning of a new month! Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment