Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Opening Wings


"Hope is folding paper cranes even when your hands get cramped and you eyes tired, working past blisters and paper cutes, simply because something in you insists on opening its wings." -Elizabeth Barrette

This past week was a whirlwind of emotions, planning, and activities. On Saturday we had our first of two Christmas parties for the Tamar girls or the victims of sexual abuse. We held the party this week in Tingo Maria, normally about a three-hour drive from Huánuco. After working hard all week to make sure everything was in place, we set off at 6:00 am Saturday morning. The road to Tingo Maria isn’t exactly what you would call straight. In fact it is probably one of the more windy roads I’ve ever been on, which made for an interesting trip full of breathing techniques and “It’s gunna be fines.”

When we got to the church, we quickly set up and started our two-hour party for the girls. We had speeches of welcoming and thanks, a sermon on the true meaning of Christmas, and the activity that I had planned. My activity was a simple task in which I made a tree out of paper (yep inartistic me!) and then made ornaments with each of the girls name on them. One by one the girls came up, placed their name on the tree and received their gift. All the gifts were bags of second-hand clothes that people had previously donated. It didn’t seem like much, but the girls really enjoyed it and the parents were incredibly grateful. One thing I found incredible was that there were only 12 victims at the party, but around 40 people. This is because parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins all came to help support the girls and to give their thanks for all that Paz y Esperanza does. This insured in me that we not only help the girls, but their families and communities as well.


Everyone was then given pollo a la brasa (baked chicken that comes with french fries, a specialty in Perú) and panetón (fruitcake). Luckily we had just enough for everyone! To me, these Christmas parties are very special because most, if not all of the girls will not be able to celebrate Christmas the way most of us imagine. Most won’t receive other gifts or eat as well as they did at this party. Therefore, it’s an incredible blessing to be able to share with these girls, give them peace for a while, and a little bit of hope for the next year.

So, while I had a fun week and weekend, I was and am completely exhausted. Each time I thought I couldn’t possibly do more, I thought about the quote I put at the top of this blog. Seeing how incredibly happy the girls were to have a Christmas celebration and how thankful the parents were, made it all worth it. Though I had to work hard and struggle to stay awake at some points, I got to see their wings open, and for that I am grateful.

Now is a good time to mention that Panetón and hot chocolate are a common holiday treat. And by common, I mean that they eat it at least once a week during December and for every special Christmas celebration. While fruitcake is not one of my favorite holiday treats, Peruvians can devour a panetón in three seconds flat.

Now onto another full week of putting together gifts and cutting out paper ornaments for the next Christmas party! 

                            My host sisters and I at Jonathan's graduation party

2 comments:

  1. You are really doing some great work with the Peruvians! Really proud of you, and hope you have a great Christmas. Barry & Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1974 we travelled Peru and Bolivia with Peace Corps friends shortly after we were married. Always planned to return but still haven't. Emily told us about your blog. It helps us get a glimpse of the place and the people --- and your good work there. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete