Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Physical Therapist in Me

When I first arrived in Huánuco, Becky asked me what I studied in college and what I wanted to be. I told her I studied Biology, but that my goal was to become a physical therapist. Her eyes lit up the minute I said this because they had been praying for a way to help a 14 year girl who had become paralyzed about a year ago. This little girl is a victim of sexual abuse and was either pushed off or fell off a cliff, breaking her spine. After spending a good bit of time in Lima receiving therapy and care, she was doing better. However, since returning home she hasn’t received any physical therapy, and desperately needs it to improve her quality of life. Becky and I were able to track down a physical therapist here in Huánuco who was willing to make the 4-hour trip with us. He and I met a few times before to go over potential exercises, a potential diagnosis, and medical supplies that she would need.

On Tuesday, Becky, Elmer (the physical therapist), Carol (teacher from Brazil), and I left at 5:30 am to visit her. After doing the trip, I can understand why it would be hard for a physical therapist to visit her regularly. For those 4 hours I bounced up, down and sideways around multiple sharp curves in order to pass over three mountains. Let’s put it this way, if shake weights actually work, I may have lost 10 pounds… too soon to tell. When we finally arrived, we had to walk another 15 minutes up the mountain carrying all of our own bags, as well as all of the necessities that we had brought for the family.

Now it’s important to understand that this family speaks Quecha, and they only understand some Spanish, so most of our conversation was through hand motions and examples. We began by examining the girl, asking for pain and sensation in which she had none below the bellybutton. We then began to notice how flaccid and weak her legs had become, and tried to explain to the family how important exercises were for her muscles. Her sister then sat with us and observed all the exercises that we wanted the family to help her with including leg raises, pushups, and sit ups. I was even able to show and explain some of the exercises, which was incredibly fun for me! After her physical therapy session, Carol gave the girl an hour lesson on reading. Carol also provided her with games that would require her to use her arms and fingers. We then left and began the four-hour trip home, but promised to return and check in on the family.

For me this is an exciting project because I get to think like a physical therapist, and I also get to compare the differences in physical therapy here in Peru to everything I have observed in the United States. I have always thought about doing medical mission trips after I have become a physical therapist, so this gave me a great idea of what that work would be like. I also need to make a book for the family with pictures and drawings of all of the exercises, so that if they don’t remember, they will have a guide close by. This will keep me busy until we visit her again, hopefully, in early December.
                                                                The view
                                            Me being a Physical Therapist!

Then on Friday night all of the other Peru YAV volunteers arrived in Huánuco for our first official retreat! I don’t know if I have ever been more excited for three buses to arrive. We stayed at La Granja (the farm) where we could hear nothing but nature for 4 days. The food was incredible; lots of fresh yogurt and cheese along with Pachamanca and of course rice and potatoes. The first two days consisted of sharing our experiences; the good, the bad, and the ugly. We also took frequent walks around the farm, visited the cows, and learned how to make the yogurt and cheese. On Monday we all woke up bright and early to catch our ride to Tingo Maria at 5 am. In Tingo Maria we spent approximately 4 hours climbing waterfalls. Some waterfalls required harnesses and ropes to climb bit by bit, and others were more like actual rock climbing. Tired and sore we finally reached the top where we were able to swim under the last waterfall. Maybe it is because I am from Oregon, but there is nothing I love more than being completely surrounded by nature, muddy, wet, and tired from an outdoor adventure.

While hiking down the waterfalls, I couldn’t help but think how much rock climbing could teach you about life. At first the mountain seems impossible, but you find your footing, go poco a poco (bit by bit), and all of a sudden you find yourself at the top enjoying the view.

“God never promised that it would be easy, he just promised that it would be worth it.”

Love from a very sore, but happy me!

P.s. I would like to publicly thank my mom for my great balance, it saved me from a few potentially muddy falls <3 


1 comment:

  1. Great post! Let me share you something about the benefits of physical therapy education which include the intrinsic rewards of life as a PTA. In other words, you are helping people each and every day of your career, and having a direct role in. Visit website for the details.

    ReplyDelete