Monday, September 26, 2011

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway


More facts about Peru:
-The toilet paper is scented, interesting right? I’m guessing it’s because all the toilet paper goes in the trash
- Most Peruvian’s drink juice with every lunch, if not every meal, but I don’t mean they buy juice, I mean they fresh squeeze fruit everyday to make the most delicious juices ever. Jamba Juice has some competition.
- The main form of transportation in Huánuco is a mototaxi, which is of course is a mix between car, motorcycle, and taxi. Interesting little buggers, but very inexpensive!

“It is difficult not to have plans, not to organize people around an urgent cause, and not to feel that you are working directly for social progress. But I wonder more and more if the first thing shouldn’t be to know people by name, to eat and to drink with them, to listen to their stories and tell your own, and to let them know with words, handshakes, and hugs that you do not simply like them, but truly love them.” –Quote by Henri J.M. Nouwen in his book ¡Gracias!

I found this quote just the other day while reading ¡Gracias! and it just explains my situation so wonderfully that I had to read it over and over just to make sure. I keep feeling like I should be doing more, I should be planning a game, event, anything that could really help, really change lives. But day after day I spend most of my time just conversing with people in the office and the women or keeping up with the news on NPR. The other day I was ecstatically cutting out 300 little sombreros (hats) because it was something to do. Don’t get me wrong, I am constantly asking for things to do, but they keep reminding me that it is only my second week and things will pick up. So when reading this quote I realized that I am doing alright. I may not be creating inspiring lessons, but I am conversing, listening, and learning. And for now, that’s all I need to be doing.

On Friday I had a half-day due to my working Saturday afternoons, so I accompanied my host mom to the hospital to visit a little girl named Anita. Anita was born with some difficulties that have set her back, I am a little confused whether they are physical or mental disabilities, but Anita, like many children with disabilities, was abandoned. She was merely left in a room day after day without food, support, or affection. Paz y Esperanza has been desperately trying to help her, but it’s been difficult because her mother has custody and keeps taking her back to an isolated life, each time returning worse than before. I didn’t quite know what to expect when I saw Anita, but I was shocked to find an 11-year-old girl who looks no more than four. She has a feeding tube, oxygen and is by far the skinniest person I have ever seen. We didn’t have much time to spend with her, but I plan to make an effort to see her semi-regularly because a hospital is no place for an 11 year old to be alone.

On Saturday, my host mom and I went on a two-hour walk around Huánuco, in which people on the street yelled me at constantly. It can be quite annoying, but I found that it’s hard for me to understand the difference between “gringa” (white girl) and “linda” (pretty girl) when people yell. So I have decided to just believe that they are all saying linda. It’s just a small trick to make the walks more enjoyable!

Sunday was by far the most successful day I have had in Huánuco. After church I met Eliana (cousin of Mimi, niece of Dámaris). Eliana lives in Huánuco and was more than willing to spend some time with me. We went all over Huánuco, taking pictures, doing a boat ride around a little lago (lake) and getting ice cream. Eliana paid for everything and wouldn’t allow me to chip in at all. The best part is that I could understand her perfectly; I only had to say ¿Como? (What did you say?) a few times, so for about two hours I had a regular conversation with someone… in Spanish! Then just to make me remember that the world is always smaller than you think, Eliana and I ran into two missionaries that have lived in Huánuco for around 30 years. Eliana knows them through her family, but I was amazed that they were wearing Oregon State shirts!! After talking for a few minutes I found out they were from Corvallis, OR (literally an hour from home), and they were gracious enough to invite me over to their home here in Huánuco whenever I would like.

I guess that means that I can say Go Beavs all the way from Peru! Much love to all!


1 comment:

  1. Hannah and others: for a more full story about little Anita, who stayed at our house for a while, you can read Teresa's blog with photos included at http://wmpl.org/blogs/tsmith/2011/06/08/hope/

    and then she gives a more recent update at http://wmpl.org/blogs/tsmith/2011/08/20/lost-and-found/

    ReplyDelete